strange error message Thread last updated on 2003-02-09 23:36:39

Posted by member 1396 on 2003-02-09 09:17:12

I'm trying to fit the ilg 33 theme (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/1227507) to my computer. In the theme's step.rc the width of elements of label.dll are defined like this:

LabelRAMWidth $MEMWidth$

which corresponds to a line in the theme's evar.rc:

MEMWidth 110

If I now introduce a new element "CPU" and define it's width as:

LabelCPUWidth $CPUWidth$

and introduce a line to the theme's evar.rc:

CPUWidth 60

I get "Uninitialized variable: cpuwidth at line: labelwidth $CPUwidth$ " upon recycling.

If I use

LabelCPUWidth $MEMWidth$

for example, everything works just fine. (Only my CPU-label is way to wide.)

Everything else in the CPU-element works just like I want it to.

I checked all the theme's files for other occurences of any "width" value. There aren't any. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by member 7 on 2003-02-09 11:10:20 link

make sure CPUWidth is defined before it is used

Posted by member 1396 on 2003-02-09 11:23:56 link

Where? It is defined in the evar.rc. And I can see no definition for MEMWidth but in the evar.rc, yet it works.

I'm puzzled.

Posted by member 1396 on 2003-02-09 17:29:27 link

I really don't get it. I just made a grep for "MEMWidth" and "CPUWidth" in the whole Litestep folder to be sure. They both only occur in the theme's step.rc and evar.rc. "MEMWidth" is defined in the evar.rc as 110 pixels, "CPUWidth" two lines above it as 80 pixels. They are both called from the step.rc, "MEMWidth" in two instances and "CPUWidth" in one. Yet "MEMWidth works and "CPUWidth" is "undefined". I don't get it! I looked through the label.dll docs and even renamed "CPUWidth" into something else (To rule out naming conflicts) and it still doesn't work.

Anyone here, who has any idea?

Posted by member 5575 on 2003-02-09 23:36:39 link

Since you can get the label setting to work if you set it to MemWidth, the problem must be where CPUwidth is defined in the evars.rc file. Check for any potential line-wrapping issues (i.e., cpuwidth actually on the end of the previous line), odd whitespace characters, misplaced quotes, etc. Make sure if it's quoted that you have one " at either end and not two `` or something like that. Setting an evar to an empty string will also produce an undefined error - I know, as I've already done that. =P