RabidVWM Thread last updated on 2003-11-18 14:54:30

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-06-16 15:04:29

I'm not sure if this is a config problem, or a module problem, so I'm posting it here first. Now, I'm using rabidVWM. The problem is, every so often, it'll decide the window that's currently active, shouldn't be, so it'll make a different one active. It doesn't switch desktops, it only uses whichever programs are on the current desktop (I have programs on other VW's hidden). Anyone heard of this problem before? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-06-16 21:07:13 link

How do you know RabidVWM is causing applications to change focus?

Is this happening when you are changing desktops? If so read up on these features VWMFocusTop, VWMFocusLast.

If not how is application loosing focus? I mean are you just surfing the web in your browser when suddenly for no reason application focus changes to your e-mail client?

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-06-17 13:44:38 link

Sorry, I WAS assuming it was RabidVWM. It could be something else, however, I'm not using software or modules now that I wasn't using on my old computer, except for RabidVWM. And correct, I could just be (and have been a few times) just typing something in to a word document, or into a web page, and all of a sudden the program loses focus. Focus could be given to a different program, or to the "desktop", I'm not sure, since the original window stays on top.
Also, this could be related to the problem that RabidCow already knows about, where you open the popup, and it will dissapear from focus being assigned to something else.

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-06-17 18:47:39 link

I use RabidVWM and have never experianced this so I couldn't say for sure what could be causing it. Is there a chance the focus is changing when an application has been updated? As in an event that normally causes taskbar flashing? I'm not sure but I think I've seen a setting that enables this. Possibly in the taskbar or RabidVWM. That's all I can think of.

Posted by member 99 on 2003-06-17 23:54:10 link

The popup problem only occurred after switching to an empty desk, and would go away as soon as you opened a window. (so it could never take focus away from a regular window) iirc, it has also been fixed in 1.01.

RabidVWM can change focus:
- while switching desktops, or a little afterward
- when a window is opened/closed
- when something asks it to (eg, taskbar)

I don't believe there are any times when it could change focus like this on its own, and I've never had any reports of such behavior.

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-11-18 14:54:30 link

update: what actually appears to be happening is that when VWMFocusLast is turned on, that app stays registered as the last focused app, until you switch desktops away from and back to it. example, I have program 1, 2 and 3 running on desktop1. one is on top, then I switch to desktop2. I switch back to desktop1, where program1 is brought back into focus. then I give focus to program2, then program3. I close out program3, and focus is given back to program1, instead of program2. this is definitely re-produceable, as it seems to happen every time. if rabidcow sees this and would like more info, my icq and e-mail contact info is in my profile.