XP Pro not booting after LS Install -- Smart guys wanted Thread last updated on 2004-02-13 09:32:17

Posted by member 42269 on 2003-06-14 15:29:11

I used the installer and restarted, now my xp pro box will not start, it has a quick royal blue screen of death (as opposed to the old lighter navy blue) and restarts.

From here i tried rebuilding the boot file and then i 'repaired' the entire windows installation.

Now my computer just hangs at an early stage in the startup on the xp pro startup screen. I've tried to log the startup, however it seems that nothing gets logged because there is no ntbtlog.txt file in my windows folder. Im stuck for the moment... I have xp pro sp1 1.5ghtz, 256 rdram, two hd's one 80 one 60 gig. Anyone have any ideas.

My xp partition is fat 32, the rest are ntfs

Also: ive been told that LS loads long after startup however it is the only thing i can remember doing before the crash. Maybe it is unrelated, however someone noted that they had heard something like this related to the LS installer -- HELP!! ;) heh this sucks, after this someone tell me how to make a perfect backup that i can load from dos of my windows.

Also Furthermore: When i try to startup in safe mode i get a blue screen: Here goes..

'A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Yada yada... check disk space, try to identify drivers, change video adapters, check for bios updates... yada yada

Technical information: *** stop: 0x0000007e (0xC0000005, 0xF9AB2927, 0xF9E7DC8C, 0xF9E7D98C)'

PS -- Shouldnt they jsut have a troubleshooting thread?? ;)))

Posted by member 182 on 2003-06-15 11:00:51 link

litestep is the last thing to load before your startup items. it loads somewhere between after the login window, and before network connections are re-established (if on a lan)

thing is, it doesn't sound like you're even getting that far.
i think maybe your computer just picked this moment to die ;\

Posted by member 42269 on 2003-06-15 19:53:08 link

umm for some odd reason it made it past the 'logon' phase once or twice before i tried to 'repair' the install. since i dont have an admin pw it just skips the logon screen. i have a feeling that it was LS that caused the problem because it crashed right where you are describing. just after what would be the logon screen.

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-06-16 15:36:54 link

what do you mean "after what would be the logon screen"? you still have the windows logon screen with litestep-it's not removed. if you don't see it, then it doesn't get that far.

Posted by member 42269 on 2003-06-20 11:37:50 link

Yes but if there is only one account with no password there is no stopping point before windows starts up :F

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-06-20 12:52:27 link

I'm inclined to agree with psynapse - your XP setup just picked that time to die. re-install. the only other thing you could try is to boot to your xp cd and "fix" the installation. even then, you should probably just re-install.

Posted by member 4132 on 2003-07-01 14:42:26 link

Noooooo! I was thinking of installing LS on our P4 aswell, but now that I'm reading this and all those other XP related problems I'm getting pretty scared ;)....
My folk's won't like it when I smash up their "Golden PC"

If anyone could give me a list of potential problems and fixes that sure would be nice ;)

And Mike_Yo, as for creating a perfect backup, how about Norton Ghost? I use it ALOT - Just create a ghost once
[I have one with Win98 perfectly tuned :D, 98% resources on boot etc. Whenever performance drops, just ghost it! Instant defragmentation in about 2 min (very small ghost, ±200 megs)]... and then ghost it when required !

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-07-01 14:56:43 link

most people don't get serious errors with litestep. if you do, it's usually user error, doing something you shouldn't have. most peoples problems are with using litestep, and they don't know what they're doing, so they THINK everything's broken. just read the docs, and you should be fine.

Posted by member 118329 on 2004-02-13 09:07:12 link

heh it is a LS related problem because i havent done anything either and now my xp hanged after install reboot. So here I am on my laptop very confused

Posted by member 118329 on 2004-02-13 09:09:55 link

I managed to get in safe mode. With quiet a few errors. after iv used "set shell explorer it still doesnt work, however i get explorer shell on next safe mode start. I just wished i had tried this on my laptop first. :P Ill continue searching here for a cure. Lets hope there is one

Posted by member 118329 on 2004-02-13 09:32:17 link

ok here is how i "solved" it: I booted up in safe mode. My mouse hang so i just replugged it. Mouse getting stuck seemed to be caused by nod32 getting stuck in safe mode or likewise. When that was solved I set back to explorer shell and rebooted. However normal start didnt work. So I tried debug, dunno why but it worked. I reinstalled litestep and all is now well. Even nod32 is installed again ;)

Maybe I had another problem but this is in short how I "solved" my problem.