RabidVWM - VWMSwitchOnAnyFocus Thread last updated on 2003-06-05 06:00:21

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-06-04 18:10:05

I would really like to be able to switch to applications on non-visiable desktops using Alt Tab. VWMSwitchOnAnyFocus allows this but this features disadvantages slightly outway it's advantages. Specifically if I use !VWMLeft or !VWMRight to switch to a desktop with no applications open on it the VWM will automatically switch back to desktop with the application that has focus.

Does anyone know any clever tricks that will allow a theme to behave a little better with VWMSwitchOnAnyFocus enabled? Something that will make an application lose focus on the desktop you are switching from could make a difference.

Also does anyone know how to enable and disable VWMSwitchOnAnyFocus in a theme without recycling? Being able to enable and disable this on the fly could be a useful feature if there is no work around for the above described problem.

Posted by member 27450 on 2003-06-04 21:20:47 link

Well you can omit both VWMSwitchonanyfocus and VWMNoswitchonfocus and you'll get behavior somewhere inbetween. With the latest taskbar3 it will change VWMs when you click on a task tile, but still will not do so for alt+tabbing. Maybe you could make a request to Rabidcow to add some kind of special focus handling for alt+tabbing? He's usually pretty good about accomodating feature requests.

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-06-04 22:54:22 link

I'm not really wanting a new version of RabidVWM because of this post. Just thought if someone knew a good work around I would use it.

Posted by member 99 on 2003-06-04 23:15:07 link

FWIW, it tries to work around the switching to an empty desk by giving focus to the VWM window, but it doesn't quite work right :(

I'm not sure why (or if) it doesn't let you turn it on/off with "!VWMToggle SwitchOnAnyFocus", I'll try to remember to look at that when I have a chance (probably July/Aug)

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-06-05 02:26:10 link

Humm, I had the same trouble with VWMSwitchOnAnyFocus but I just wanted to make some tests and add it again to the step.rc, and...
it works fine, now, allowing to switch using ALT-TAB and no switching back when switching to empty desks. I really don't know why it works now and I don't know if it'll work tomorrow or the day after...
Maybe everything depend on the modules loaded ?
Maybe the behaviour is different between Win2K and XP ? (I'm under 2K)

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-06-05 06:00:21 link

My bad for not reading all the doc. I didn't notice the VWMToggle bang. Thanks.

I'm using XP. I guess sometimes things don't get focus like they should. Outlook also frequently won't get focus when I switch to that desk. Maybe a related problem? Maybe Outlook is the actual cause.

At least I can enable and disable this feature with VWMToggle. I have no hesitation about adding this feature to my theme now :)