Tasks -- Subprocesses Thread last updated on 2003-06-01 17:11:17

Posted by member 37506 on 2003-05-31 15:32:21

Hey ya'll!

I'm wondering, is there any taskbar-ish modules or whatever that resembles the BeOS and WinXP task menu in the why that they can sort all windows and such into groups, where windows crreated by a process is located 'under' the main app in the start menu. If you know what I mean.

Perhaps this is not possible to implement for win98, I have no idea, but i'm running Win2k(had to revert becouse xp would not work satizefactory on my comp), and I really miss the order and ease of being able to minimize _all_ windows of a particular applications, or to close them without having to do so manually on every one.

#Would it be possible to make?
#Are there already a module that does this?
##If so, where can I get my hands on it

Thanks a heap in advance.

Posted by member 910 on 2003-05-31 21:00:09 link

currently, no, there are not tasks modules that will group like windows together. i'm not entirely certain what you're talking about here. do you mean multiple instances of an application? or do you mean all windows, including child windows, like the toolbar windows of photoshop, of a single instance of an application?

either way, i don't imagine it would be difficult at all to do this in a litestep module, it just needs to be done. carbon already does it, as a matter of fact.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-05-31 22:31:55 link

BeOS will create one icon for lets say mIRC...and if you have detached Channels they will appear when you click on the mIRC task as subprocesses. I guess you could say that WinXP is similar with grouping windows from the same application, but they would be hidden and only appear in a popup window.

Posted by member 37506 on 2003-06-01 17:11:17 link

pika:

Ok I might have been a wee bit bad on the explaination ;).

I actually primarily mean the windows, if I have more then one browser window open they will all be grouped together, allowing me to minimize/close etc every window of the same application quickly.

DeViLbOi:

Yup, thats what I ment.. lol.. man I suck at explaining stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was exploring "GeoShell" for a moment and it seems it's task-plugin does just this, so it seems possible as you said pika, though i'm currently not that 'into' C programming so the most inner workings of the OS is not know to me, whitch was why I said "processes" and all that stupid stuff.

Though i'm not happy with geoshell, so i'm gonna revert to litestep again.. as soon as I figure out how to make "ShellOn" work ;)... What is "carbon"? :P